Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sweet Hour of Prayer Journal

Don DeWelt
Sweet Hour of Prayer Journal


So here it is as promised, the sweet hour of prayer journal! You can fancy this up anyway you so choose.

I have started a four week Prayer series with the ladies in our Wednesday evening bible study class. The first class was to teach them how to put a prayer journal together. I wished I'd of taken my camera to the class that evening to get pictures of some of these ladies fancy pages on their journals. They were so creative!

I was introduced to the Sweet Hour of Prayer about 20 some years ago while I was in Bible College and I have really enjoyed it through out the years. The book was called, "The sweet hour of prayer, by Don DeWelt." I then turned it into my own personal prayer journal.

First of all, you will need to find your self a spiral page note book, or even, a three ring binder would work. I personally keep mine small so that it is easy to tuck inside my purse.




The Sweet Hour of prayer is divided into twelve segments of five minutes each. (it would be easy to extend these into ten or fifteen minutes each and have two or three hours of prayer.)

Here they are:




1. Praise for Him

2. Praise to Him


3. Confession


4. Read the word to Him


5. Petition

6. Intercession - For the lost world

7. Read the word for myself



8. Thanksgiving



9. Singing - Favorite praise CD
10. Meditation - I read from a devotional book out loud
11. Listening - Be still and know He is God
12. Praise in Song - Praise and worship CD



Make sure you have lots of extra paper in your journal to jot down notes and scriptures, prayer requests etc. I don't have pictures of my pocket pages but I keep prayer requests in them so that I remember to pray for people who have asked for prayer.

Some praise ideas for Praise for God-This is praise for Him:

Love
Power
Wisdom
Grace
Mercy
Kindness
Patience
Presence
Eternal
Father
Unchangeable
Justice-judge
Sovereign
Creator
Ruler
Complete
Spirit
Joy
Intelligence
Shepherd
Sanctifier
Redeemer
Saviour
Forgiver
Cleanser
Owner
Filler
Beautiful
Satisfying
Writer-Author
Rock
One
Healer
Light
Potter
Husband
Reward
Understanding
I am
For us
End maker
Slave maker
City Builder
Strong
Historian
Speaker
Holy-Pure
Hate
Wrath
Fire
Revealer
Source of Faith
Music maker
Cannot fail
Listener
Wants you and me
Employer
Righteous
Majestic
Intimate
Liberty maker
Lord
Life Planner
Triune
Generous
Courageous
Shield
Omnipotent



The same list above can be used for Praise to God - Adoration, wonder, awe to God.

Confessions:
Lying
Stealing
Gossip
Lewd thoughts
Profanity
Hatred
Anger
Wrath
Railing
Shameful speaking
Passion
Covetousness
Sexual immorality
Idolatry
Witchcraft
Jealousy
Fits of rage
Selfish ambition
Dissensions
Factions
Envy
Drunkenness
Orgies
Hardening of the heart
Continual lust
Greed
Deceit
Bitterness
Foolish talk
Coarse joking
Empty words
Their God is their stomach
Their glory is their shame
Hollow philosophy
Tradition for truth
False humility
Worship of angels
Carnality
Malice
Slander
Idleness
Wrong for wrong
Grieving the Spirit
Shepherds who feed only themselves
Grumbling
flattering
Scoffing
Divorce
lose heart
Arrogant
Rudeness
Easily Angered
Lukewarmness
Loving to have preeminence
Fearfulness
Fornication
Seeking to be justified by the law
Callousness
Unforgiving
Unyieldingness
Love of money
Evil Suspicions
Impatient
Unkindness
Always right
Homosexuality
Disobeying parents
Lording it over others
Despise Authority
Quenching the Spirit

Thanksgiving:

Parents
Our daily bread
Deliver us from evil
Send for laborers
Lead us not into temptation
That our faith fail not
Be Merciful
For give those who hurt us
That all who believe be one
That Gods love be in us
To speak in boldness
Look on the threats of others
Stretch out thy hand
For travel direction
That they might be saved
May the God of peace be with you
Grace
Mercy
Peace
Enrichment of speech
That there be no divisions
A spirit of wisdom
Wisdom
Eyes of heart enlightened
Know the hope of calling
Surpassing power
Riches of inheritance
Strengthened with power in the inner man
Christ may dwell in our hearts
Know the love of Christ
The the door be open for the word
Comprehend the depth
The breadth
The length of the Love of God
Filled with His knowledge
Pursue Godliness
Pursue righteousness
Pursue Love
Pursue gentleness
To fight the good fight
Be kind
Keep me blameless
Love thy neighbor as thy self
Strive in prayer for those who preach
Good things

I have a hundred altogether for each list but I will let you add to your own list here. I think you get the point.

I hope that this helps make you and I better prayer warriors!

Blessings to you all








14 comments:

CarJax said...

LOVE, LoVe, lOvE this, Chrissy! Thank you so much for this post. I am going to make it a goal to do this prayer notebook by the end of the year...what a blessing! Love you!! -Jax

Christine said...

Glad you liked it. Thank you for letting me know...was hoping that it would be a helpful tool. =O)

Christy said...

I'm so glad you stopped by and commented today, it brought me here, and I'm feeling convicted! I needed this. I've just been floating aimlessly the last few months in my pryaer life, trying to get it together for more than five minutes, disconnected etc, but I'm a planner, and I see where regiment will actually bring about the spontaneous, and heartfelt prayer I'm in search of! Thanks for sharing these great ideas! I look forward to following along, and starting a journal! Tonight!

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Thank you for sharing this. It is a great tool to take ones prayer life to a deeper level.

As a homeschooling mom, I find it very difficult to find an hour of uninterrupted prayer time. Something like this would help me keep on track. Even if I am interrupted, I could go back to it without losing track.

Patrinas Pencil said...

Thanks for this Christine - Gives me some good ideas for Christmas. I saw your comment over at Tiffany's. Thanks for sharing.

blessings,
patrina <")>><
warrior bride in boots

Peggy said...

Blessings Christine... LOVE this and it's so GREAT for PRAYER and gifts even to me! I saw your comment over at Tiffany's and I ran over to check it out and I'm so glad I did! Thank you for sharing your creative and wonderful idea!!! Very, very creative tool and a well spent hour!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Be blessed as you have blessed us!

Peace,
Peggy

Tea with Tiffany said...

Praise God for your praying heart and sharing this journal idea. I love it. I'm a creative thinker and visual learner, I am going to do this. What a blessing it is to have you encourage me to do so.

God bless you as you lead your prayer group. I absolutely love to pray with others. Its food for my soul to gather and pray and praise our Lord.

Have a blessed Sunday.

Peace,
tiffany

Ginger said...

Love this...and the can idea in a previous post. Thanks so much for sharing it.

Christine said...

Glad you guys liked the prayer journal...I love anything that presses me a little closer to the Lord!

{darlene} said...

Truly. this is amazing. I love it!!! Bookmarking!!

Carolyn said...

Awesome!! :D Also loved your can idea in previous post!!

Hugs, Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

Brenda said...

Thanks for visiting! I enjoyed your sweet post. Come by and visit anytime!

Sweet Blessings to you!
Love, Brenda

Carolyn said...

Hi Christine,

Thank you for "stopping" by and leaving such sweet comments! Do you know blogland has helped me to see there are still MANY good, solid, God-fearing, sweet, loving, tender-hearted women still across our country. Sometimes when you see things on TV, you start to feel like a mis-fit in this troubled land! But in reality, I think there are more of us than we realize!

Glad to have met a new friend in Christ! :)
Hugs and Blessings,
Carolyn ~ Cottage Sunshine

Judy Dudich said...

Wow! This is wonderful Christine!
Thanks for sharing it with me...what a lovely Christmas gift this will make!