When God Hands You What You Didn’t Want





Sometimes we pray with our hands open to God, while quietly hoping He will place one particular answer in them.
We pray, “Lord, Your will be done.” But somewhere deep inside, we already know what we want His will to look like.
And then God answers.
Only the answer looks nothing like what we prayed for.
A closed door.
A changed relationship.
A season we never would have chosen.
A “no” when we desperately wanted “yes.”
A waiting place when we were ready to move.
And suddenly, trusting God becomes more than something we say. It becomes something we must live.
Proverbs 3:5–6 tells us:
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to Him, and He will make your paths straight.”
I love that Scripture doesn't tell us we will always understand. It tells us to trust.
There is such a difference.
Understanding says, “God, explain this to me, and then I’ll trust You.”
Faith says, “God, I don’t understand this, but I know You—and because I know You, I can trust what You have allowed into my hands.”
Maybe one of the deepest places of spiritual growth comes when God gives us something we would never have chosen for ourselves.
Because sometimes what feels like disappointment is actually protection.
Sometimes the closed door is mercy.
Sometimes the waiting is preparation.
Sometimes God removes what we were clinging to because our hands need to be free to receive something else.
And sometimes we may not understand the reason at all on this side of heaven.
But our peace doesn't have to come from understanding the answer.
Our peace can come from knowing the God behind the answer.
He sees what we cannot see. He knows what lies around the bend. He knows what will draw us closer to Him, strengthen our faith, soften our hearts, and prepare us for what is ahead.
So perhaps today's prayer isn't:
“Lord, give me what I want.”
Perhaps it is:
“Lord, help me trust what You place in my hands.”
Even when it isn't what I asked for.
Even when it hurts.
Even when I don't understand.
Because ultimately, my faith isn't in the answer.
My faith is in You.
And maybe that is where surrender becomes something beautiful—not when God gives us exactly what we wanted, but when we discover that having Him is enough, even when the answer is not.

“For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord.
— Isaiah 55:8




Christine