Friday, October 10, 2008

Fresh pumpkin...yum, yum...and kids home for the week end! doulble YUM!


I'm going to make pumpkin cake today, thank-you for the recipe P-dot. I just looked up how to make fresh pumpkin puree and since I have all these sugar pumpkins that I just bought yesterday, I'm thinking this is a perfect day to do it. I want also to make up some extra pumpkin puree for my Thanksgiving Pies as well. I love bread and pies made from fresh pumpkin! So I will freeze the rest of it until then. Just thought I'd share here and keep a record of this for myself as well. Since I only do this but once a year I always forget.

Well Twin B just went to pick up twin A (two hour drive up and two hours back) to come home for the week end, so I need to get busy here....fresh baked pumpkin seeds for my pumpkins this evening!
I think Alison and Elliot are home sick for each other....lol


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Step2
Split the pumpkin in half and seed it.


Step3
Remove the stringy fibers by scraping the insides with a metal spoon.


Step4
Place the two halves cut side down in a roasting pan along with 1 c. water.


Step5
Bake the pumpkin until meltingly tender, about 90 minutes.


Step6
Scoop the flesh out of each pumpkin half.


Step7
Puree in a food processor fitted with a metal chopping blade.


Step8
Use as needed.

10 comments:

Ms. Tee said...

Oh, pumpkin cake - yummm! I've never made anything with fresh pumpkin, I don't think. This year may be a first! :)

Christine said...

Oh you must try it...I honestly didn't think I'd notice a difference, but boy did I ever! It really is hard using canned pumpkin once you have gone with fresh pumpkin puree!

CarJax said...

I have baked pumpkin before too and it is great! Hey, check out what I'm making over on my blog. Wish you were here! Hugs, Jax

P-Dot said...

In the early 80's my most very favorite pumpkin recipe became the one that Pam Maynard Shively made and that was Pumpkin Upside Down Cake and I haven't made a pumpkin pie for the holidays since. I sure miss her.

CarJax said...

Penni, please post that recipe for us on your blog! Besides, you need another post since the last one was in April. lol!

P-Dot said...

I sent Chris, via email, Pam's recipe. I will update my blog now that I have DSL again. I went quite awhile with no computer.....eeeek. It was AWFUL....
The recipe under the dark hole devotional on my blog is for a sandwich that my foodie son, Mark, says is the best one he has ever had and that's saying something. I made them for Christmas last year.

Kelli said...

Yummy! Enjoy your cake!
~Kelli

Joy said...

I am sooooo hungry after reading your delicious recipes!!!!!
I think I'm going to have to try the german pancake and the blue cheese potatoes for sure!
Then will you keep me company as I exercise the pounds off that I'll gain?!?!

Anonymous said...

Hi Chris,

I am with your # 1 girl. She is helping navigate my way thro this thing..I love you. Very good job. You are your fathers child!!!!

LOve mom

Christine said...

Moooooooom finally got in here yippy! Now head over to Snackies site! Bust week end here...man I am tired! lol