Set the Table


One day I decided to make a big fuss over my family.
Not just any ordinary dinner… but a special guest kind of dinner.
I polished the house until it sparkled, pulled out my finest china, set the dining room table with care, and placed fresh flowers from my garden in the beautiful vase my grandma had given me.
Why not?
I go through all of this for special guests, don’t I?
Of course, the moment my children walked through the door, they knew something was happening. Isn’t it funny how kids can sense when something special is about to take place?
“Who’s coming for dinner?” they asked with great excitement.
I smiled and told them, “Well, there are three very special guests joining us tonight!”
Their eyes grew wide with curiosity. Then I asked if they would help me by running upstairs to make three very special crowns out of paper and glitter.
The excitement in the house grew with every sprinkle of glitter and every imagination-filled idea. They couldn’t wait to be part of this grand occasion. And the mystery of not knowing who these special guests were made it even more magical.
As I prepared the meal and arranged the table, my heart was overflowing with gratitude. I found myself thanking God for the incredible blessing of this family He had entrusted to me.
Then came the moment when my little helpers placed the three glittering crowns on the plates.
Suddenly, they noticed something…
There were only five place settings.
A little sadness crossed their faces.
“Mom,” they asked, “are we not invited to this special dinner?”
I smiled and said, “Of course you are!”
Then I looked at them and reminded them of the truth:
“You are my special guests.”
The relief was immediate. Smiles appeared, little feet jumped up and down, and voices filled the room:
“We are special! We are special!”
And you know what?
So are we.
How often do we save the beautiful things for “someday”? The china sitting behind glass. The good dishes waiting for a special occasion. The things we love, untouched and unused.
But what if today is the special occasion?
What if the people sitting around our table are the very guests we have been waiting for?
Let’s open the china cabinet. Let’s use the beautiful dishes. Let’s fill our homes with flowers, laughter, stories, and love.
Because God is preparing a beautiful banquet table for His children one day — a table where we are not just invited guests, but beloved sons and daughters.
I imagine He will use His finest treasures for that celebration.
And until then…
Let’s lavish love.
Let’s open our homes.
And don’t forget…
Set the table.