Getting Off the Wheel
Lately, I have been feeling a little bit like Chewy the hamster…
Running and running on the wheel, putting in the effort, moving my little feet as fast as I can — yet somehow feeling like I’m not really getting anywhere.
Maybe you’ve felt that way too.
Life can become so full. So many responsibilities, expectations, and good things competing for our attention that before we realize it, we are exhausted from simply keeping up.
I am learning that sometimes God’s invitation is not to run faster…
Sometimes it is to step off the wheel.
Letting go of my part-time job has been a bigger adjustment than I expected, but with each passing day, I am beginning to see the gift in this new season.
I am down to my last two full weeks.
Deep breath.
A new rhythm is coming.
A slower pace.
More room to listen.
More space to notice the blessings God has already placed right in front of me.
A.W. Tozer once wrote:
"Every age has its own characteristics. Right now we are in an age of religious complexity. The simplicity which is in Christ is rarely found among us. In its stead are programs, methods, organizations and a world of nervous activities which occupy time and attention but can never satisfy the heart."
Those words cause me to pause.
How often do we fill our lives with activity, even good activity, while our hearts quietly long for the simplicity of sitting with Jesus?
The truth is, the deepest peace is not found in doing more.
It is found in knowing Him more.
Perhaps this season is an invitation to step off the wheel and remember:
I am not loved because of what I accomplish.
I am loved because I belong to Him.
So today, I am choosing to slow down.
To breathe.
To notice.
To enjoy the moments.
Because sometimes the sweetest blessings are waiting for us when we finally stop running long enough to receive them.
~Enjoying the moments