The Love Dare
As I was visiting Coffee at the cabin last week, I came upon a blog of hers that brought me to order a book called, "The Love Dare." It arrived yesterday, so today, I am on Dare #1 out of forty.... a dare a day for forty days.
Dave and I usually have a date on Friday evenings and I always look forward to that evening with him. Let me just state right here, date nights when the kids are grown and gone is so much easier now! As we were out to dinner, I started telling him about this movie I have heard so much about called " FireProof" and that it is on a long waiting list on netflix. He suggested that after dinner, that we just go buy it at Target. So we did, and that evening we snuggled in and watched it together.
In this movie they used the book I had just ordered from the book store, "The Love dare." One of the things that "Coffee at the cabin" shared on her blog about this book was, don't buy it to give to your spouse to use, you do it...so I am.
I feel as though Dave and I have always had a good and healthy relationship/marriage. And Dave has always felt that if it ain't broke don't fix it. So, I myself, am not seeing this as fixing anything for us, but simply making what we already have that much better.
Let me share just a little bit of day one with you here....
Love is patient
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient with one another in love - Eph. 4:2
The book goes on to state that love works! It is one of life's most powerful motivators and has far greater depth and meaning than most people realize. It always does what is best for others and can empower us to face the greatest of problems.
Let me tell you, other than a great tool for relationships, the selling pointing for me is that it's only a few pages to read a day. I could honestly read a dare for the day while in the grocery store line!
Here is the first dare out of the forty day dare plan: Day One - The first part of this dare is fairly simple. Although love is communicated in a number of ways, our words often reflect the condition of our heart. For the next day, resolve to say nothing negative to your spouse at all. If the temptation arises, choose not to say anything. It's better to hold your tongue than to say something you'll regret.
So far today I have done pretty darn good with this one...Haven't seen Dave since last night! He was gone to work before I got up! lol
OK, joking aside, can you think of a more wonderful way to spend forty days - everyday thinking on one positive thing a day to bring into your marriage. So today, nothing negative will come out of my mouth.
What ever kind of marriage you may have, whether it is strong, mediocre or just hanging on by a very thin thread, maybe the divorce papers have been served, or maybe you are just thinking about getting married.... I highly recommend this as a book to read.
There is a war on our marriages in this country and I can really only see one person benefiting from our marriages ending, and that is the devil. We need to stand firm and turn this war back on the devil and tell him to get out...there is room for only three in my marriage and that is my husband, myself and the Lord.
One last point that I found very interesting, a little something to think about and that is, that the world tells us to "follow our hearts." Yet the Bible says that "the heart is more deceitful than all else" (Jeremiah 17 :9), and it will always pursue that which feels right at the moment. This book dares us all to think differently.
I am looking forward to 40 days of doing nothing but exploring and demonstrating genuine love.
I double Dog Dare ya all to watch the movie and take the dare....
Let me know what you think =O)
~ enjoy
P.S. A little note for those of you who already saw the movie or plan on seeing it, at the end of the movie, Kirk Cameron's real life wife stepped into kiss him at the end of the movie. He will not kiss another woman, even if it is acting. I love it!