Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Easter fun ideas and a clean Give-a-way!

And yes, there indeed is a wrapped candy bar for every Holiday in this home! Would you expect anything less from someone who lives in the Milky Way Galaxy? The little tags on the candy bars say, He has risen and also Jesus is the sweetness in our lives.




This has been a favorite one of ours for years now...the Resurrection eggs. I did this with my children when they were really to young to even know or understand, but have brought it out every Easter since. As a matter of fact I had twelve guest for Easter dinner here last year and I think everyone enjoyed it even our guest. I handed out the eggs in order to everyone. I had the person with the first egg one open as I read the scripture that went along with it.

Let me share with those of you who have never seen these before so you can share them with your children, guests, or even grandchildren as well.

Resurrection Eggs
*Each egg has an item in it representing the scripture for eggs 1 thru 12

Egg #1 Matthew 26:26-28 (The last supper) JESUS took bread, gave thanks and gave it to his disciples and said, "take, eat, this is my body. He took the cup of wine and gave it to them saying, "Drink from it all of you for this is my blood covenant, which is poured out for the forgiveness of sins." ( In the egg: 1 plastic Communion cup, and a little cracker)

Egg #2 Matthew 26:15 Judas asked, "What are you willing to give me if I hand him over to you?" They counted out thirty silver coins. ( In the egg: Cover three pennies with foil)

Egg #3 Mark 15:15 Pilate had Jesus whipped. (Item inside egg : A tooth pick with a little leather strip tied to it to look like a whip)

Egg #4 Mark 15:17 They put a purple robe on Jesus. (Item inside egg : I small piece of purple fabric)

Egg #5 Mark 15:17 They made a crown out of thorny branches and put it on his head. (Item in this egg: Gold pipe cleaner made into a small ring to represent the crown)

Egg #6 John 19:17 He went out carrying his own cross. ( Item inside this egg : White pipe cleaner...take two pipe cleaners about 1 1/2 inches wrap one around the other to look like a cross)

Egg #7) Matthew 27:37 They put a sign above his head, "This is Jesus the King of the Jews" (Item in this egg: type out on a piece of paper "This is Jesus the King of the Jews")

Egg # 8) John 20:25 Nails were used to fasten him to the cross. ( Inside the egg: 1-nail)

Egg # 9) John 19:29-30 They soaked a sponge in wine vinegar and lifted it to Jesus' lips. Jesus drank the wine and vinegar and said, "it is finished!" Then he bowed his head and died.

Egg # 10) John 19:34 One of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. (Blood for the sacrifice and forgiveness of sins. Water for cleaning and new life.) (Inside the egg: Tooth pick painted half red)

Egg # 11) Luke 24:2 They found the stone rolled away from the tomb. (Inside the egg: One small rock)


Egg #12) Luke 26:6 HE IS RISEN!!!!! (from the dead) (This egg is Empty)


Print off the scriptures above and paste it to the inside lid of the egg carton, this way you always have the story to go with these eggs. Have the children decorate the out side of the carton and teach them the story as you create each item to put inside each of the eggs.


Alison made us this wonderful cup cake/ Cake for our dessert last year...cute colors, cute idea. In the back there you see a plate with white fluffy cookies, those are the resurrection cookies we made the night before Easter together. The kids and I made these before Easter every year...here is what you do and the meaning behind these as well....

You Need

1- cup whole pecans
1-teaspoon vinegar
3 egg whites
pinch of salt
1-cup sugar
zipper baggie
wooden spoon
tape
Bible
EASTER COOKIES

Preheat the oven to 300 (this is important-don't wait 'til you're half-done with the recipe)

1. Place the pecans in the baggie and let the kids beat them with the wooden spoon to break them into pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.

Read John 19:1-3

2. Put the vinegar into a mixing bowl. Let each child smell the vinegar. Explain that when Jesus was on the cross and He became thirsty, He was offered vinegar to drink.

Read John 19:28-30

3. Add the egg whites to the vinegar. The eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life so that we could have life.

Read John 10:10-11

4. Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand and let them taste it. Put the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.

Read Luke 23:27

5. So far the ingredients are not very appetizing. Add 1 cup of sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him.

Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16

6. Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high speed for 12 to 15 minutes, until stiff peaks form. Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.

Read Isa. 1:18 and John 3:1-3

7. Fold in the broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto a wax paper cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus body was laid to rest.

Read Matt. 27:57-60

8. Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven off.

9. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the door. Explain that Jesus tomb was sealed.

Read Matt. 27:65-66

10. Go to bed. Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight and that Jesus followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.

Read John 16:20-22

11. On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. the cookies are hollow! ON THE FIRST EASTER, Jesus' followers were amazed to find His tomb empty.

Read Matt. 28: 1-9







We found these cute little suckers on long sticks at the party store and made a fun little center piece for our Easter Table...simple, fun and the little kids all thought they were very yummy.



And what would you have your guest drink down all these sweets with?...lol Alison and I decorated a case of water bottle for our guests. Wrapped Pretty Easter paper around them and added another little scripture to the top of the bottle and wrapped it with a pretty Easter ribbon....Water for cleaning our sins.

I am leaving this Saturday morning to go spend two weeks at the ocean but wanted to share these fun Easter ideas with you all before I took off. Seems like there is so many things going on right now that I am having a hard time keeping up.

One of my favorite things to buy down at the Ocean is this incredible hand made soap my mom buys all her guest who come stay with her at her beach condo. I will pick up a couple bars and have a give away when I return from the ocean. I'll pick two lucky names from this post when I get back March 21st! Since I can't afford to send everyone a bar, I'll post the name of the company and you can order some for your self if you don't win here. Good luck and have a fun few weeks everyone! I can't wait to cruise the blogs and see all the fun Easter ideas and traditions you have when I return.

The Easter story is such a special message, so for every one you send over here that leaves a message I will add another entry for you in the hat. Just have your friends tell me you sent them here and you are added for each one. I say spread the Good News! If you even mention this post on your post...let me know, I will be happy to add your name in the hat again for you!

I am on day seven of the Love Dare and really enjoying it! Have you started it yet? And if so, What do you think so far?

~ enjoy

22 comments:

Jeanne Oliver said...

We have loved the resurection eggs and the cookies. It really helps the children to understand Easter.

The Farmer's Wife said...

THANK YOU!!!

I have seen the resurrection eggs, but didn't know how to do them. And the bread...this is good, good stuff! I'm printing it off, right now.

I wish I could come to your house for creativity injections. And I thought I was getting all art-sy when I made green pancakes for St. Patricks Day....I have a LONG ways to go!

Georgia Girl said...

Loved all the Easter Ideas you have shared Christine..you know me I love all your creative holiday traditions..I want to make the eggs for lexi...that will be soemthing really neat for her to understand about Jesus and what he did for us!

Oh yeah Allison did a great job on the cake/cupcake...I will have to show Lexi and see if she wants to try our hands at making this. She loves doing cupcakes but never thought about adding them to a cake...I have made designs with the cupcakes before.

Have a fun trip and be safe!

{darlene} said...

I have seen those resurrection eggs for sale. I am so glad to know a home-made version. Thank you! Your crafts are always so wonderful.
Have a great time at the ocean, and... can I come??????

Bonnie said...

First of all - TWO weeks at the beach - how do you rate?! As Ms. Bennet says in Pride and Prejudice " A little sea bathing would set me up for life". Have a great time!! Love all the Easter ideas - your setting the bar high once again. My Alli was reading it with me and was ooing and ahing.

Amy said...

WE so love the Resurrection Eggs in our home too! Started a couple years ago and the kids love it! Such a wonderful way to God's Word in their heart and tell the TRUE story of Easter :) Have a wonderful time hanging out at the beach! Sounds fabulous.. hope you take lots and lots of pictures to share! hugs.. Amy

southerninspiration said...

Hanging out at the beach?? how fun. And that cake Alison made is cute...hey I have a daughter named Allison, too!
Have fun and I'll look forward to your giveaway and your beachy fun report when you return.

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Christine...you totally amaze me with your creativity...I always did some, what I thought pretty neat crafts with my son as he was growing up... But, you take the prize, Girl Friend!! We live way too far away from eachother.

I will post on my blog and send everyone over here!!

You have a wonderful time with your family at the beach..!! Be safe..Hugs
K

Sue said...

Hi Christine,
I have heard of the resurrection eggs, but never tried them.It looks like you all really enjoy doing celebrations together, I think that is so great!!! Have a great vacation!!!! Blessings,
Sue

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Hi Christine!
Thanks so much for all of those great ideas! I am totally going to do them. I love how they bring the real meaning into Easter - not just candy. Everything is adorable!

How is your love dare coming along?

XOXOXO
Jen

CarJax said...

Hi Chris, What a wonderful post. Spring & Easter are in the air! TYL! I love the Resurrection Eggs. We have done those all these years too. Thanks for sharing and have fun at the beach without me. :) Love u bunches, Jax

Lol about Ms. Bennet and her sea bathing, Bons.

Angie said...

WE will so miss you and your posts, but I must say it sounds so wonderful to be at the ocean for a couple weeks! Enjoy your visit. As for the Love Dare book. Love it. I have found so many things about myself that I need to work on. I am glad I got the book for sure. blessings, angie

Sarah said...

Oh, this is such an awesome post. I've done the cookies but didn't have the resurrection eggs info so that is a print off for sure!! Thanks for taking the time to write it.

You are off to the ocean, huh? SOOOO lucky. Have a great, wonderful time. I'll miss checking in on your posts! I am up to day 20 on the Love Dare so I need to update my posts to reflect as such and share my latest thoughts. Been too busy typing conference summaries. :)

Anyway, have a fantastic time! And, thanks again for posting all those GREAT ideas!!! Can't wait to "borrow" them!

Nina Diane said...

You are so creative! Love all of your Easter ideas.....

Sit A Spell said...

I have a set of the eggs...love all you fun colorful ideas right down to the water bottles!

Enjoy the beach...wish I could go...it's warm here today...a balmy 39 degrees! YES...most of the snow has melted due to abnormal warm temps. We still have lots of huge piles though...bit snow up here this winter.

Debbie said...

What a great post full of ideas! I got several new ones from this.

Ms. Tee said...

We always did the resurrection eggs when my son was little - I love them. :) You have the best ideas with all of your spring-y easter stuff!

Lisa said...

I have seen the Resurection eggs before and always thought Matthew was too young to get it...I think he's old enough now and I will try and find them. Love the cookie idea too! Thanks for the great idea! The cupcake cake looks delish! Hope you have a great trip!

Jodi said...

Thank you for sharing the Resurrection cookie recipe. I am going to make them with my kids this year (ages 8, 6 and 2). Have fun at the beach.

Georgia Girl said...

Sure am missing you but know you are having a great vacation!

Carol said...

Thank you for sharing your Easter ideas. I love the resurrection eggs. I have seen them before & think it's such a great tool for teaching children about the true meaning of Easter.

Blessings,
Carol

Carry Grace said...

We had the resurrection eggs while growing up as a kid. I really need to do this with son.