Saturday, March 19, 2011

Soda Bread ~ SoDalicious!


I have been seeing a lot of recipes for Irish Soda bread these past few days and decided to try to make some for myself, and well, the family, too. I must say I am now a new fan of Irish Soda bread! It was quick and ever so easy to make.
I love the way it looks with that crisp outer shell on the out side and the tender moist bread on the inside. Yum!


Can you see the pretty little leaves in the wax paper?

It was so quick and easy to make that I even made up an extra batch for my neighbor as a little thank- you gift for having us all over for dinner last weekend.



As a fun little project and a sweet way to wrap their bread I took two pieces of wax paper and used my leaf punch and cut out a bunch of leafs out of yellow tissue paper. I placed the leafs in between the wax paper and put a towel over the wax paper and used my hot iron to heat the wax paper together. It made a pretty wrapping paper for the bread and I then tied it off with some raffia. After the bread was wrapped I used a glue stick and added a few of the tissue leafs to the raffia. It turned out pretty cute.



This bread is so easy and quick to make and it was very tasty but most importantly, the family loved it!

The Lucky Ingredients

Preparation:

In large bowl, whisk together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, flax seeds, sugar, baking soda and salt.

In small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and oil. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir with fork until soft dough forms.

On lightly floured surface and with floured hands, press dough into ball; knead lightly 10 times. Place on greased baking sheet; gently pat out dough into 6-inch (15 cm) circle.

Topping: Sprinkle flour over loaf.

With sharp knife, score large X on top of loaf.

Bake in center of 375ºF oven for about 45 minutes or until golden and tester inserted in center comes out clean.

~enjoy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YAY! Thanks Chrissy! I went to the store and got the ingredients I didn't have so now I'm all set. Gonna make some today. I'll let you know how it turns out. Love U! -Jax

P.S. Sorry about the deleted comment. That was me. :O)