The Little Seeds We Plant


I woke up this morning to the sound of rain gently tapping on my window, and I couldn’t help but smile. There was just something about that familiar sound that brought a quiet happiness to my heart.

Maybe it’s because I was born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, but rain has never really bothered me. I’m not sure exactly why, but I know I truly enjoy the slower rhythm it brings. Rainy days make me want to stay inside, work on little projects around the home, create, organize, and simply enjoy the gift of being here.

Don’t get me wrong — I love sunshine too. There is nothing like a beautiful summer day, a garden in bloom, and the warmth of the sun on your face. But I have never been someone who complains when the clouds roll in. Sometimes the rain feels like an invitation to slow down and notice the blessings right in front of me.

I often think about my mom and wonder if, without even realizing it, she planted a little seed in my heart.

My mom was a homemaker, and she had a way of making home life look like the most wonderful adventure. She showed me that a home was more than walls and furniture. It was laughter, memories, meals shared, traditions created, and love poured into the everyday moments.

I remember watching her and thinking, “One day, I want her job.”

Of course, I now know that being a wife, raising children, and caring for a home is not always as simple as it looked from a little girl’s perspective. There are long days, hard seasons, and plenty of moments when we wonder if we are doing enough.

But even knowing all of that, it was still the desire of my heart — and it still is.

And I wonder if, without even realizing it, I passed that same little seed along to my daughter.

A while back she made a comment that I have never forgotten. She said, “I want your job… but without the kids.”

I still laugh about that one. 

Because isn’t that just like children? They see the beauty of what we do before they understand all that it takes.

But maybe that is the sweetest part.

The seeds we plant often grow in ways we never see coming.

I love this crazy, funny, beautiful family God has given me. And on mornings like this, when the rain is falling and the house feels cozy, my heart is reminded that these ordinary moments are actually some of the most precious gifts.