A Granny Square Scripture Afghan: Stitching God’s Word Into My Days
I decided to give myself a little challenge…
One granny square a day.
My goal is to have enough squares finished by the end of August to create a beautiful afghan. But this isn’t just any afghan — I’m calling it my personal Granny Square Scripture Afghan.
Each week, I am choosing one verse from God’s Word to memorize, meditate on, and reflect upon as my hands work on each little square.
Today marks day nine of this sweet little challenge.
There is something peaceful about creating with your hands while allowing God’s Word to settle into your heart.
The colors I chose for this afghan are a little darker than what I normally gravitate toward. I usually find myself drawn to softer, lighter colors, but as I was looking through old photographs, I came across a picture of my grandma’s home. There was my daughter sitting on her couch, and draped over the back was an afghan in these very same tones.
Suddenly, those colors felt like a connection to a memory.
When I was younger, I remember my grandma and grandpa making the long trip from Montana to Washington in their motorhome. My grandma would crochet and knit the miles away — working all the way to our house and then all the way back home again.
I don’t remember a time when my grandma was sitting still without some kind of project resting in her lap.
Her hands were always creating.
I even have memories of her working on this particular style of afghan when I was a child. Now, years later, I find myself recreating my own — not just with yarn and a hook, but with memories, prayers, and love stitched into every square.
I have other afghans in progress for my children and their spouses that I’ll share another time. But for now, I’m enjoying these quiet moments — soaking in God’s Word, remembering those who came before me, and creating new memories for the family God has so richly blessed me with.
Each little square is becoming a reminder that God is faithful in the ordinary moments.
A stitch.
A verse.
A memory.
A prayer.
All woven together by His loving hands.
Week One Scripture Reflection:
“Long ago, even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes. His unchanging plan has always been to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. And this gave him great pleasure…”
— Ephesians 1:4-5
Week Two Scripture Reflection:
“Since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us.”
— 1 John 4:11-12
May these little squares become more than an afghan.
May they become a testimony of love, faith, family, and the beautiful ways God meets us in the everyday.
