Monday, October 6, 2008

Blue Cheese Smashed Potatoes

( I made this new potato recipe for Dave and I Friday evening along with ham and Swiss cheese wrapped around chicken breast for dinner and we both enjoyed it very much! Will definitely be revisiting this recipe again, next time with company to share it with!)

Blue Cheese Smashed Potatoes



2 lbs. unpeeled thin-skinned
potatoes, such as new potatoes or
fingerling's, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
I used russet potatoes and peeled them.

4 cloves garlic, peeled

1/4 cup whole or low-fat milk

2 Tablespoons butter

1 cup crumbled blue cheese ( at room temperature)

Place garlic and potatoes along with about 5 cups water in
a large sauce pan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low
and let potatoes simmer, covered, until tender, about 15-20 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat the milk and the butter in a small sauce pan over low heat.
keep warm.

Drain the potatoes and garlic in a colander, then transfer to large bowl. Using
a potato masher or large fork, coarsely mash the potatoes and garlic. Add the warm milk and butter mixture and the blue cheese and mash to combine.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. If they have cooled, reheat them slowly in a medium sized sauce pan, stirring frequently, until warmed through, then serve. The smashed potatoes can be kept warm for up to 1 hour in the top of a double boiler set over simmering water.

3 comments:

P-Dot said...

Oh my that sounds great. I'm just sitting here drooling as I'm reading it.

Christine said...

These were really good..hey I should post your yummy dip that you made for us at the ocean!!!!!

P-Dot said...

Do you remember the recipe? I could email it to you.
Also, I just got back from the store with my Stilton blue cheese to make these potatoes.