Sweet and Simple
{Simple yet very sweet table center piece ~ One bowl, 1 bag of red hot candies, a candle, some ribbon and a Hershey bar covered in pretty Valentine paper resting on an unused mirror.}
So many times I have made things bigger in my mind than they really are. I sometimes wonder how many moments I have missed out on in my life because I get so wrapped up in or should I say obsessed over all the small details that really have nothing to do with the real reason for the moment we have all come together for in the first place.
Sure it's important to make everything special for the ones we are celebrating, but not to the point where we miss out on the enjoyment of the moment or completely over look the ones we are celebrating, in order to have everything perfect. After all, the person is the reason we are celebrating. I often find myself at war with the Martha and Mary inside of me.
I was at Target last night with Dave trying to find special things to put into the kids' Valentines boxes. Of course the wheels in my mind were spinning thinking of all the things I could just make for their boxes instead of buying them - meanwhile Dave is throwing things into the cart like a mad man, knowing I will be exhausted burning the mid night oil yet once again - up all night making all these things!
We got to talking about Alison aka the daughter and I was reminded of a Super Bowl party she had thrown here one year. Now if this had been me, I'd of spent a month just making lists, menus, invitations, not to mention cleaning the house inside and out, etc.
Alison wakes up one morning thinking this would be a fun day to have some friends over for a Super Bowl Party! Yeah! Made some calls to about 10 friends... invites them all over.... game starts at 3:30,....come on over about 3pm.... Done Deal!
She then asked Dave to take her to the grocery store and help pick out some snacks for the party. They came home with some cute plates, napkins and enough food to feed the entire Super bowl team.
They had a blast! No stress, no worries - just some good old fashioned snacks, dips, drinks and chips. Everyone she invited showed up - picked a team to cheer for and away they went.
Now that is what I call making your relationships a priority and finding simple ways to enjoy the people you love. I doubt the laundry was finished that day, there were probably even a few dirty dishes in the sink, I doubt the tubs were spotless nor were all the beds made up. Yet the party went on anyway and you know what? A good time was had by all, including myself.
I doubt that anyone gets to the end of their lives and wishes they'd had a cleaner home, worked more hours or made more money. My guess is that most people say that they wished they'd spent more time with their family and loved ones.
So for this week-end anyway, while this is fresh on my mind, I am dropping my mop and bucket and going to enjoy an unexpected out of town guest and have some fun with family and some dear friends!
I hope all of you enjoy those who are around you this week end as well.
~ enjoy