Monday, October 6, 2008

Tomatoes...

My brother in law and his wife have been bringing us fresh fruit and vegetables back from Yakima all summer long and I must say I have had a love hate relationship with all the fresh produce this summer! I love the fruit and vegetable's but hate it when I can't keep up and they go bad on us. The fruit has kept me in the kitchen a lot this summer. I have been canning jam like a crazy woman! The box of tomatoes sat in my kitchen almost a week before I could figure out what to do with all of them. We grilled them, put them in salads and even just sliced them up and ate them. Dave suggested I boil the rest and freeze them for our chili this Halloween. Perfect idea Dave!



Here is whats left of our tomato family...these are huge by the way! I got the water boiling and one by one dropped them into the pot. I think I boiled them for only a couple minutes. You can actually see the skin crack on them.

As soon as I pulled them out of the boiling pot I immediately one by one dropped them into a very cold bowl of ice water.
One by one I peeled the skin off the tomatoes, the skin really just fell right off ...this sure was an easy way to get the skin off these tomatoes. I then chopped each one up and put them into a freezer zip lock bag and stuck them into the freezer. They are all ready to go into Dave's Halloween Chili. I can't wait for Dave's chili!

6 comments:

Sandy said...

That's a lot of work, but oh so yummy!

P-Dot said...

If you get overwhelmed with tomatoes again, try slow roasting them and putting them in the freezer. It intensifies the flavor to the max and makes so many tomato dishes even better.

Georgia Girl said...

Hey....thanks for stopping off at my blog...I just relized you were on my blog on 360 and Multiply...How cool to see you over here...I remember you did a lot of family traditions. Scrapbook weekends. Your daughter played volleyball and she was hurt if I am not mistaken...Don't think I am a stalker I just remember the people I blog with and who impress me.

Here is a place you can get your backgrounds...just add it as a gadget and then do the html gadget and put it on that...the code from these websites...

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/

If you need help I would be glad for you to call me or I can call you...you can email me and let me know...

Beth

Christine said...

hugssssss Beth...I thought that was you! 360 was a little to busy for me. How funny! Yes it was Alison who was injured...she is now playing for a college team a couple hours away from us. She is red shirting this year and all is well so far! I'll try this and if I can't get it to work I'll email you my number, or I can call you as well...I have unlimited minutes so I could call you. I'll try this as soon as I get a chance.

Kelli said...

Your chili is going to be so yummy! I would like to do some more canning soon for Christmas presents.
~Kelli

Georgia Girl said...

Sorry I forgot to comment about the tomatoes...This is what we do also but I just put mine in a blender and make tomatoe juice and sauce for my chili and spaghetti for the winter...Oh they are yummy using fresh ones...also can be great for salsa/chips.

So glad you know I was not stalking you...so glad we came upon each others blogs. Added your family traditions to mine also cause that is what impressed me so much. Your blog actually inspired me to start some family traditions myself...something that many familyd don't do this day and time because we are always on a rush but it is time to slow down and enjoy our families. Just wanted to thank you for that.
Hugs right back at you!
Beth