Thursday, June 28, 2012

{cotton} cloth and Holy Word



Grandma is in her mid nineties, I think she is ninety six?


She doesn't crochet much any more... just a little bit now, she said. 

Still making {hats} for babies in hospital?



 Back in the day when she did do a lot of crocheting...




she'd make us all these beautiful dishcloths made out of 100 percent cotton yarn.

She tells me on the phone,

{ " it must be 100% cotton."}



I had a feeling that I knew how she made them,

 but I thought that I should call her just to make sure.




Sure enough she was able to explain to me just how they were made.



 ...simply put,

 "single crochet all the way."




Grandma laughs and says,
 "No matter how fast you make these...they are gone!"




 ...and she was right.




 My once full basket of these treasured wash cloths are down to only a precious few.




As thrilled as I am to once again have these dishcloths  back into my kitchen....




 I must admit....



I am just as thrilled to give them away as gifts.

Jesus, as always, is once again right,

 "it is more blessed to give than it is to receive."


 


My son has already snagged two for his own kitchen...

could this be that he now washes his own dishes? 

hmmmm.... (wink and smile)

 

 The colors are really endless... 

 I so wish that I could afford to buy every color of this yarn on the face of this earth.

And some day, when we are all in heaven and I have eternity to work on such things...

I will make each and everyone of you one.



 This cotton is so soft to work with.




They are small enough of a project that I can easily make one a night.




 This basket is near empty. 

Time to replenish.



Each cloth fits perfectly around a bar of soap...



  
{and did I mention?}

...these make really nice face cloths as well.




Thank-you grandma!




 Thank-you, thank-you, Gg-ma!





No idle moments here. 
I have put it to prayer to memorize the book of James...
yes the whole book.

Thank-you, Beth Moore.



So while I work on earthly projects I am working at putting heavenly words in my mind.

"Thy word I have hidden in my heart that I may not sin against thee..."




I carry this with me everywhere I go (here in my purse) ...that yellow paper wrapped in packaging tape with a medal ring to hold it all together ...kind of the same thing Christ does for me

...He holds me all together.





I write each verse on a piece of paper and cover it, (both sides) with packaging tape and attach it together with the ring. I continue to add new verses as I, along with the holy spirits help, master each new verse.



Like everything in my life/walk ~ I have a long way to go, working through verse seven, right now. One of the things I  personally like about memorizing Gods word is that it makes me think on each verse slowly and helps remind me to daily live it  while working it through the fiber of my life.

 Digesting each word/thought and then prayerfully putting it into practice.

After all, isn't this what this daily walk with Him is about?

{Learning/living}

James, a bond servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, and to the twelve tribes who are dispersed, greetings.
Consider it ALL joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials,
knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance.

And let endurance have its perfect result, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.
But if any of you lacks wisdom, let let him ask of God, who gives generously and with out reproach, and it will be given to him.

But let him ask in faith with out any doubting, for the one who doubts is like the surf of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
For let the that man expect that he will receive anything from the Lord.

 {James 1:1-7}

I am learning, JOY, in my trials. The endurance?...I stand there in that storm, using His advice, through Holy Words, not to react in a worldly way towards others around me with bad behavior in return. It is through that endurance, that very working through His holy word in our lives through everyday situations, that make you/me perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.

Do I fail, fall, stumble, etc?

Of course. Flat on my face. Humbled. Broken.

I get up and start it again and again and again.

This daily walk.

Dross pulled out of me through others around me, is constantly being worked out of me and through me by the one and only Great I AM.

God is truly good, ALL of the time.

~enjoying these moments


4 comments:

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

Love the crocheted cloths and wow the whole book of James! God is good :)

Everydaythings said...

youre trying to inspire and excite me with this crochet story and guess what ..its working!!!! I just love those cloths and the way your grandma is still crocheting for such a good cause!

kelley said...

What a lovely post about your Grandma...my Mom is 88.5 and slowing done with her quilt making...but she wants something to keep her hands busy...thanks to your post I'll be picking up some Peaches & Creme yarn for her and find some instructions for the face cloths to crochet...

Red Rose Alley said...

How nice it is that your Grandma crochets. My sister crochets as well, and I have always thought it was such a talent when one knows how to. I would love to have something one day crocheted by you,
my friend. Have a nice weekend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley